[GRLUG] WMNTUG Windows 7 Meeting

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 07:42:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:33 AM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> What sort of bugs?  When xchat or Firefox or Kile have bugs, the apps
> crash.  When a filesystem has bugs, I may lose data.

All software has bugs.

The question to ask is not "are bugs still being found?" - variations
in the size and sophistication of a user base, openness of code,
attitude of upstream, etc. all affect the frequency with which bugs
are discovered.

More appropriate questions are "How large and active is the community
surrounding the software?", "Of what quality is the code?" - this will
often, but not always, depend on the answer to the former question,
and barring more direct answers to those questions, "Do people whom I
trust to know what they're talking about - i.e. kernel devs -
recommend it's use?".

--tim