[GRLUG] WMNTUG Windows 7 Meeting

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:21:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please elaborate.  XFS can be checked
> much faster, but  just as thoroughly in
> some sense?  What are the "valid reasons?"
> As in, I don't know  a thing about it, so a
> small word salad about what it is, and its
> virtues and advantages over ext3, would
> be appreciated.
>
> Hasn't ext4 started to be used in Linux?
> Anyone know what it offers in the way
> of improvements over ext3, and the rest
> of the world of file systems?
>
> Yes, these questions can be about as
> annoying to answer as "how are you?",
> or "What's up?"  But helpful to some of
> us.

Just to throw in my 2 cents...  ext3 tends to be the most widely
tested of the Linux filesystems, and has the most capable fsck.  Other
filesystems may be a few seconds faster in one way or another, but if
you care about your data actually being there when you need it,
there's no safer choice on Linux than ext3.

--tim