[GRLUG] LINUX and NOT LINUX

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:13:36 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the LINUX column, I discovered that
> > LINUX does not support Canon scanners.
> > I tried XSane and Scanlite.  XSane will
> > produce a scan, but the colors are way
> > off, and I couldn't find a way to correct
> > them.
>
> Have you tried building a color profile for the scanner?  The lprof
> package looks like it might help.
>
> That's the kind of thing Canon and
others provide you when they supply
you with a CD for your windoz system.
I already have an HP unit working on my
Ubuntu 9.04 setup, and probably a working
Canon LiDe unit.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_color_management

and in particular:
Software for input and output profiling
Looks to me like this is a big enough job
that it should only be done once, preferably
by the people doing the reverse engineering.
It take equipment the typical putterer is not
likely to even have access to, much less own.

     -- Bob