[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Sep 2 20:46:00 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 08:33:52PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > I loathe the idea of government intervention (do we really want
> > cash-for-clunkers quality service with our internet infrastructure?).
> > The best way to force service providers to improve is to (and this has
> > been mentioned already) let the market decide.  The market *cannot*
> > decide currently.  I don't want cable from Comcast.  What are my choices
> > for cable tv?  The market is hamstringed.
>
> Because there is not, and never will be, a real "market" for such
> services.  The "market" is hamstrung by the fact that it does not exist.
> You have two choices [outside of dense urban areas] which are (a)
> government or (b) corporate monopoly.  I'll pick (a) every day of the
> week.

The government's role in the economy is to ensure competition, and, in
the case of a natural monopoly (one company is so much better than the
rest that it dominates the market; not Microsoft) to prevent it from
abusing its monopoly position.  The reason there is no market for
competitors in industries like cable television is the government
refuses to force companies such as Comcast or [fill in the cable
provider in your area]—who received MASSIVE tax incentives for laying
cable—to open up the lines the taxpayers paid for to competitors.  So
I'll pick (c) government-ENforced competition, ie, the market.

> And as for "cash-for-clunkers quality service" - I'll accept that as an
> example.  It perform exactly the intended objective.

Tell that to the dealers who are still waiting for their money from the
government.
--
john-thomas
------