[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Sep 2 20:30:59 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 07:29:53PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > If service providers aren't absolutely FORCED to provide better
> > data-service they won't they will keep offering the very minimum they can,
> > and issue government regulated lines - because there is more profit in them!
> > Why install a DSL Circut when you can force business customers to pay 8 -
> > 10 times the amount for T1's.

I loathe the idea of government intervention (do we really want
cash-for-clunkers quality service with our internet infrastructure?).
The best way to force service providers to improve is to (and this has
been mentioned already) let the market decide.  The market *cannot*
decide currently.  I don't want cable from Comcast.  What are my choices
for cable tv?  The market is hamstringed.

[snip]
--
john-thomas
------