[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:52:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Bob Kline<bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The average cost to run a twisted pair today
> > is about $2,000.  But it's a long term investment,
> > and the phone or cable companies could
> > amortise the cost over 20 years or more.  A
> > fiber could be retrofitted for that much, on
> > average, and less in many cases.
>
> Twisted pair 20 years ago was cat 3.  Amortizing the cost of a cat 3
> line in 2009 would be a waste.  Even amortizing the cost of a 100+
> pair bundle more than five years is silly, considering the high risk
> of loss of capital due to back hoe fade and the like.
>
> Probably true.  But the infrastructure is
largely there to implement fiber to the home.
Even outfits like Comcast and AT&T already
run fiber much of the way.

Of course Comcast would figure out some way
to screw it up.  One really wants Verizon, but
that's nowhere on the horizon.   That I know of,
FiOS tiers are 25, 50, and 100 Mbps, and the
prices are pretty nominal compared to what
one gets from Comcast.  $35 a month for 25 Mbps
I believe.

    -- Bob