[GRLUG] LVM Data Recovery

Jim Olding olding at smashtech.net
Wed Oct 21 19:18:03 EDT 2009

Well, it finally happened, I had a complete RAID failure.  Before it
comes up, yes, I have the important stuff backed up, but I would still
like to try getting the data back before just throwing in the towel.

I'm following the guide here -
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874 even though it is a bit
dated.

Software RAID Setup
/dev/md0 - RAID1 (1TB /dev/sda and /dev/sbd)
/dev/md1 - RAID5 (1TB total, 500GB each on /dev/sdc, sdd, and sde)

LVM Setup
/dev/vg0 - XFS spanned across both md0 & md1

sdd had gone out, and I just got the replacement in today. When the
system started up, sde started throwing errors, which deactivated md1
(because now its missing 2/3 members).  I'm not holding out much hope
for md1, so I'm wondering if there is some way to bring up the LVM
group in a 'partial' mode (with just md0), and retrieve any data from
it.