[GRLUG] grlug Digest, Vol 44, Issue 22

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Nov 24 11:50:20 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 11:36 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Darrin Sculley <darrin at sculley.cc> wrote:
> > Michael,  when you are feeling better I would be glad to show you the lab.
> >  Give me a shout after the holiday.  Anyone else that couldn't be there but
> > would like to see it, just email.
> I'll have to do that. :)
> > Ya, the RAID SSD is overkill, but the local I/O really flies.  Fun, really.
> Oh, I never said it wouldn't be fun. :D
> I was just pointing out that it was probably an unnecessary expense.
> > The issue with mapping entire HOME directories to the server with
> > NFS/Gigabit Ethernet is complex since we actually found out later that we
> > were having router issues at the time too.  But I do think that a more
> > selective NFS mapping of the users files and some rsync on login/out of
> > configuration files makes sense.
> Where would you hook the script into logout? You'd need to be sure it
> was the last thing to run for the session, or something else might
> make changes that you wanted to catch.

And you want to make sure it actually runs, and completes.  I think
coming up with something that worked reliably is probably way more
effort than first imagined.

> >  Why waste network I/O and server traffic
> > on lock, cache and other temporary files?
> That's why I suggested a read-only network mount and unionfs to a
> tmpfs; Anything written goes to the local tmpfs, not the server.
> You might also play around with mounting .gnome and .gnome2 via sshfs.
> For giggles*, I once served up a few small text files from my Linode
> webserver that were actually on my home server, mounted via sshfs.

Yea, sshfs works pretty well.  But performance is certainly going to be
much worse than NFS.

> > We're going to work on some rsync scripts for the users .gnome and .gnome2
> > folders soon, so their preferences will roam from machine to machine.  If
> > anyone has a "packaged" way of doing this, let me know, as it does seem that
> > the configuration files keep moving around from release to release.

Yes.  Configuration management on LINUX is a complete mess.

> Yeah, desktop configuration changes each release for just about any
> distro, and Ubuntu has a more frequent release cycle than most.

Sort of.  It is usually between .gconf* and .config.  More and more
stuff seems to be using ".config".