[GRLUG] Apologies for not making it.

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 08:17:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect he didn't need two 32GB SSDs in RAID 0, but I don't have
> enough context. My gut tells me GigE+netboot would work if the RAM
> were bumped up to 16GB. File caches are wonderful things, and a full
> install+favored apps of a desktop edition of Ubuntu 8.10 with only
> /home put off to another drive left me with less than 7GB on /.  Heck,
> you could conceivably make that 7GB part of an initrd. :P

We did discuss some of this last night. I'm sure Darrin will correct me if
I'm wrong, but they originally had all of the homes remotely mounted on a
server. However with all 28 stations logging in at the same time (as a class
starts), then the kids all using Firefox or Chromium (think cache files),
the network or server drives had trouble keeping up. By moving the homes to
local storage, they were able to take a big burden off the server and
network. Still, all of the students' data (Documents, Videos, Photos, etc)
are mapped to the server, and they are working on getting things like Gnome
settings up there too.

8GB seems like plenty of RAM. I don't remember seeing it go over 2GB while
four of us played with the same station.

--
 Ben Rousch
 brousch at gmail.com
 http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/