[GRLUG] Arch and ATI

Marissa Hogue rissajeanne at hogueweb.com
Wed Nov 11 13:38:06 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Colin Uhen <callinyouin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! proud Arch user here.
> I really can't help with ATI in particular since I've always opted for
> Nvidia myself, but I would recommend the wiki if you haven't checked
> already. The wiki is an AMAZING resource, chock-full of documentation for
> just about anything/everything.
> Here is the ATI page:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

Thanks Colin. I was able to get it working earlier this morning. I
reinstalled catalyst per John-Thomas' suggestion. Then I found a
couple xorg.conf tips in the Wiki that I completely overlooked
previously, and they worked swimmingly:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Configuration_2 And yes, it is
an amazing resource. I've been VERY impressed with the thorough
documentation on every little issue I've come across so far.

> P.S. I'm completely with you on the minimalist thing, running Openbox with
> LXPanel and Conky on my desktop.

I haven't tried Openbox. I'm really comfortable with Enlightenment
right now. I tried KDE 4.3 off and on this year (it's so pretty, I had
to), and I just can't get past the fact that I have to remove dozens
of apps upon installation. I basically stripped it of everything that
made it KDE, and finally threw up my hands. Actually, that's what got
me thinking about Ubuntu, and the fact that it has so many packages
that I'll never use, so why not try something more lightweight?

And speaking of Conky, I've noticed in Ubuntu 9.10 and Arch that
Conky's transparent background won't work on my second virtual desktop
(it retains the background from the first desktop). Have you run into
this?

I'm attaching my .conkyrc, in case you feel like problem solving. =)

Marissa