[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Mon May 18 14:21:39 EDT 2009

Well, for what it is worth,

I noticed on an earlier post you had the following:

Before mounting:

# file: disk2
# owner: me
# group: me
user::rwx
group:: r-x
other::r-x

After mounting:

# file: disk2
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-w

Now, I am not sure if your other::r-w is a typo and should have been r-x
or if in fact other does not have execute access to the volume.

For purposes of testing, I have two different users with different
ownerships and groups to a directory, running Ubuntu 6.06.  When I grant
read permission to a directory by one user for world access, the second
user can see files, but when that user attempts to open the file, nothing
happens.  However when I grant execute permission to that directory at the
world level, Firefox can now open the file.  So it appears Firefox, for
some reason wants execute permissions.  (Firefox 2.0)