[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:43:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder whether this is another reason
> Comcast got a yen for implementing
> monthly byte quotes.  A router ( I'm
> assuming this is a router? ) with that kind
> of range could provide free Internet access
> to a big piece of a neighborhood if no
> encryption is used.

I'm not certain that you actually need a shared key (or even RADIUS
auth, as in WPA-Enterprise).  Were I to implement something like this,
I'd want to use WPA2 with a TKIP pairwise cypher, but no key required
for associating with the AP itself; You get the benefits of encryption
between the user and the AP, as well as freedom from knowing a shared
key.

Of course, you're still at the mercy of whoever controls the AP
hardware, so standard Internet safety rules still apply; Don't feed
your password over an unencrypted connection, verify SSL certs, etc.

(Which brings to mind an interesting thought...In the case of a
localnet, who does one go to as a CA?  Presumably localnet-specific
cert would have a localnet-specific CA to verify against?)

> So how does Comcast decide whether that
> kind of range is legitimate, or has this ever
> come up?

Comcast has no say or control over it, with the exception that their
contract almost certainly prohibits resale and sharing of their
services. (All of the broadband ISPs ostensibly require one to only
have a certain number of computers hooked up to the Internet
connection, though their support techs don't really care.

> Can using boosters be considered
> redistributing a service?  But then, boosting
> only affects the outgoing signal.  From how
> far can a typical laptop send info upstream?

It would depend on the chipset and internal antenna.  I got the 300
yard figure from measuring on Google Earth where I was when my
smartphone picked up and associated with my home network while I was
on my way home from work.

> Well, one could still provide a neighborhood
> radio streaming service.....

And run afoul of the RIAA--unless one stuck to unlicensed and local
bands.  That'd be a rather interesting kind of local radio station,
actually. (Even so, ASCAP would probably still breath down your neck.)