[GRLUG] NEXT GRLUG Meeting Tuesday JUNE 2nd

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon May 18 11:13:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 09:36 -0400, Casey DuBois wrote:
>> Hello GRLUGGERS,
>> Thanks to everyone that came out on short notice for Friday's GRLUG meeting.
>> The warehouse seemed to work out GREAT (except for not having my
>> wireless setup).
>> Next Meeting will be: Tuesday June 2nd
>> Location:
>> The WAREHOUSE @ 112 Baldwin St., Jenison, MI
>> Corner of Baldwin and River
>> Who wants to present???
>> What would you like to see???
>
> I have presentations, pretty much in-the-can, on:
>  * Cyrus IMAPd
>  * IPv6
>  * OpenFire (the XMPP server from
> <http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp>)
>  * Centralized logging with Syslog (to an RDBMS)
>  * HylaFAX
>  * PostgreSQL
>  * TCP/IP (introduction to IPv4 networking)
>  * Wireless/Network authentication with FreeRADIUS (EAP/802.11x)
>  * OpenGroupware
>  * Samba ("CIFS & POSIX: Bridging the Chasm", focuses on reconciliation
> of the two world views: name space issues, UIDs & GIDs vs. SIDS, DNS &
> WINS, etc..)
>  * PAM & NSS
>  * LDAP (a seven part series actually, starting at LDAP101 which is an
> introduction to LDAP concepts, terminology, data model, etc...)
>  * Debugging your system: Using lsof, fuser, strace, netstat, and /proc
>  * Kerberos V: Setting up a MIT KDC and clients.
> ... if anyone is interested in any of those.
>
> Personally I'd be interesting in a presentation on:
>  * Samba 4
>  * The latest generation of version control systems: git, bzr, Plastic,
> and Mercurial.  The proliferation of new version control systems is a
> bit overwhelming for someone who's primary job doesn't involve keeping
> track of such things.
>  * NHibernate on Mono
>  * Funambol
>  * Mobile IPv6
>  * The latest features of CUPS: the changelogs for recent versions have
> lots of cool sounding featuers like RSS, back-channel communications,
> etc.. but there is @^$&*@*(& zero documentation how to use any of them.
> Can CUPS notify a user when their print job failed?
>  * Using Valgrind to analyze for memory leaks and performance issues.
>  * OpenNMS - Beyond just getting to beast running.
>  * PKI - Yes, I know what a CA, CSR, and a certificate are, but there
> seems to be allot more involved in getting something that actually works
> (well).  There has got to be a better way to manage certificates than
> the openssl command and a filesystem directory.
>  * Alfresco <http://www.alfresco.com/>
>  * The upcoming filesystems and what they can do for me-the-sysadmin.
> ext4, butterfs, etc...
>  * Video editing, and why it never works for me.  I've used kino to edit
> some video, but then the sound doesn't actually track the video.  What
> do all those 10^18 output options mean?

Do we REALLY need a presentation format? I was hoping for a much less
formal, less structured meeting environment; Everyone on this list has
their own experiences and insights, and it's a lot easier (and more
fun) to interact and extract these experiences in a coffee-table
format than a presenter-audience format.