[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:28:07 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> When you mount something, the mount permissions override that of the
> >> mount point.  Try setting the user and permissions for the mount as
> >> part your parameters to the mount command.
> >
> > Would that be any different than just setting
> > them afterwards?
> >
> > Anyway, I tried the mount as:
> >
> > mount -t ext3 -o owner,group /dev/sdb7 /disk2
> >
> > I see the same behavior as before:  I can view
> > items within /disk2, but not the contents of /disk2.
> >
> > And of course the contents of any directory on
> > the primary drive.
> >

> In a perfect and intuitive world with perfect and intuitive software?
> No.  At this point, I'm trying to exhaust all possible options,
> keeping in mind the different systems involved and where there might
> be failures in their interaction.
>
> Try setting the owner and group of the mount by uid and gid
> respectively, rather than by name.
>
> If that doesn't work, try adding the mount to fstab with the options
> "user,noauto,exec".  Then, as the user you want to have access to the
> data, try "mount /disk2", and see if Firefox can see the directory
> contents.
>
> If *that* doesn't work, then it's probably not a permissions issue at
> all; Something in Firefox might be disallowing enumeration of mount
> point roots as a security feature.  You'd have to dig through
> about:config to find it, if it's configurable.
>
> Another observation: Since this is an external disk, it might be
> worthwhile for you to use the persistent-naming schemes that seem to
> be part of udev now; Take a look under /dev/disk, and see if any of
> those symlinks device nodes will continue to refer to the disk you
> want to access under circumstances which change the device-devicenode
> mapping. (Such as, for example, if you were to add a SATA disk; the
> external USB or firewire disks would get moved to sdc or sdd, and the
> SATA disk would be sdb.)

Re "all possible options,"   I'll play around
with this some over time.   I suppose Firefox
could be doing this on purpose, and it might
be stated so in some documentation.  As far
as I can see,  the fact that konqueror works
and Firefox doesn't suggests as much.

I'll be back if anything changes.

BTW, anyone else see this same phenomena?

   -- Bob