[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:13:31 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Tom Warren <tomewarren+grlug at gmail.com<tomewarren%2Bgrlug at gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> As the user (non-root) can you list the contents of the Filesystem? Are
> we
> >> maybe dealing with an ACL?  Run "getfacl /disk2" before and after you
> mount
> >> the drive and post the output.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> > Before mounting:
> >
> > # file: disk2
> > # owner: me
> > # group: me
> > user::rwx
> > group:: r-x
> > other::r-x
> >
> > After mounting:
> >
> > # file: disk2
> > # owner: root
> > # group: root
> > user::rwx
> > group::r-x
> > other::r-w
> >

> > So the mount process does indeed change
> > permissions, but this should not change a
> > couple of key things:
> >
> > 1)  Konqueror works fine.  I can view the
> > contents of /disk2 as expected.
> >
> > 2)  The permissions are 755, so I should be
> > able to at least view the contents of disk2
> > in any case.
> >
> > 3) I can view the contents of /disk2 one
> > file at a time.  e.g., if I enter file:///disk2/myfile.html
> > as the URL to Firefox, the contents are displayed.
> > It's only when I enter file:///disk2 that I get a blank
> > page.
> >
> > At this point it does seem that Firefox requires
> > some kind of permissions that just aren't there.
> > I tried changing "owner" to "me", but nothing
> > changed - I still cannot view the contents of /disk2.
> >
> > I can view the contents of any directory owned
> > by root on the primary drive.  Just not /disk2.
> >

> I'm not sure if enumerating a directory's contents requires read,
> execute or both.  Also, what steps did you take to change the owner to
> yourself?  Did you use the uid= and gid= mount options, or did you
> chown after the mount?
>
> Also try adding the mount to fstab with the requisite options to allow
> non-root users to mount it, and see if that fixes it.
>
> It may be worthwhile to file a bug report with your distro's bug
> tracker; They'll fix it locally and push the fix up to mainstream.
> (Unless it's Debian, in which case they'll just fix it locally; Their
> Seamonky codebase has deviated significantly from Firefox.)

chown after the mount. I also tried "-o owner,group".
This allows non-root users to mount things on /disk2.

Indeed, if it's clear it is a bug, rather than something
I'm doing, it's worth a report.  Some of the things you
mention seem to require that the options be set in
fstab, and I haven't played around with that.

Anyway,  for now, with the simply mount I usually
do for backups:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb7 /disk2

konqueror lists the contents of the mounted drive,
Firefox does not.  Firefox can deal with items in
the directory.  That's where it stands now.

Some day I can try Seamonkey.  I use it on a
machine running Puppy Linux.

    -- Bob