[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun May 17 12:00:46 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Tom Warren <tomewarren+grlug at gmail.com<tomewarren%2Bgrlug at gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:

> >> What is the output of ls -ld /drive2 ? This could very well be a
> >> permissions issue.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >>

> > 755  root root
> >
> > I changed the owner to myself, and
> > nothing changes.
> >
> > But then, I can look at any other directory
> > in root with similar permissions.  Just not the
> > external drive.
>
> When you mount something, the mount permissions override that of the
> mount point.  Try setting the user and permissions for the mount as
> part your parameters to the mount command.

Would that be any different than just setting
them afterwards?

Anyway, I tried the mount as:

mount -t ext3 -o owner,group /dev/sdb7 /disk2

I see the same behavior as before:  I can view
items within /disk2, but not the contents of /disk2.

And of course the contents of any directory on
the primary drive.

   -- Bob