[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Tom Warren tomewarren+grlug at gmail.com
Sat May 16 22:35:41 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Tom Warren <tomewarren+grlug at gmail.com<tomewarren%2Bgrlug at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

>>> I must have missed that one.  A couple things to try...First, add the
>>> exec option to your mount parameters.  It's plausible that Firefox is
>>> checking for exec privileges before it tries browsing the directory
>>> (to avoid getting Permission Denied errors, I would guess), but
>>> mounting external drives defaults to enabling the noexec option.  Or,
>>> at least, it used to; I discovered that when I couldn't run scripts
>>> from my ~/bin directory when my /home was on an external USB disk.
>>> Come to think of it, I couldn't browse /home with Firefox then,
>>> either. (I didn't make that particular connection until just now.)
>>>
>>> Disabling noexec mount ability fixed the ~/bin execute issue, but I
>>> don't remember if the Firefox browsing issue was fixed at the same
>>> time.  It wouldn't surprise me at all, though.
>>>
>>> --
>>> :wq
>>>

>> What is the output of ls -ld /drive2 ? This could very well be a
>> permissions issue.
>>
>> Tom
>>

> 755  root root
>
> I changed the owner to myself, and
> nothing changes.
>
> But then, I can look at any other directory
> in root with similar permissions.  Just not the
> external drive.
>
>    -- Bob

As the user (non-root) can you list the contents of the Filesystem? Are we
maybe dealing with an ACL?  Run "getfacl /disk2" before and after you mount
the drive and post the output.

Tom

--
Tom Warren                                           tomewarren at gmail.com
meijer ITS Technical Engineer - Storage   Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)