[GRLUG] Firefox on an external drive

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri May 15 17:44:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> As I mentioned in an earlier e-mail,
> it's an ext3 file system, and I mount it
> manually, using "mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb7 /disk2".
> I only use it when I'm backing up, so I have no
> reason to get in to fstab.  The drive is only used
> when I do a backup.

I must have missed that one.  A couple things to try...First, add the
exec option to your mount parameters.  It's plausible that Firefox is
checking for exec privileges before it tries browsing the directory
(to avoid getting Permission Denied errors, I would guess), but
mounting external drives defaults to enabling the noexec option.  Or,
at least, it used to; I discovered that when I couldn't run scripts
from my ~/bin directory when my /home was on an external USB disk.
Come to think of it, I couldn't browse /home with Firefox then,
either. (I didn't make that particular connection until just now.)

Disabling noexec mount ability fixed the ~/bin execute issue, but I
don't remember if the Firefox browsing issue was fixed at the same
time.  It wouldn't surprise me at all, though.