[GRLUG] DVD ripping recommendation

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Mar 14 15:58:24 EDT 2009

I've ripped a few DVDs here and there from the command line.  It is
painful.  There are so many options that I'm not sure even the
developers know what they all do.  I stumbled across HandBrake
yesterday.  Wow.  It makes ripping DVDs incredibly easy.  It has a
variety of "Presets," including presets for an iPod and iPod Touch.
There was a question on the list sometime ago about 5.1 or 6.1 (or
7.1?).  On the DVD I am currently ripping there is an option for "Mix"
with Mono, Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic II, and 6 channel
discrete (whatever that is).  I would assume the list is limited by the
DVD being ripped.  It really is an amazing piece of software.  I am
using the GUI but it has a CLI version, which would make it scriptable
(presumably).

For those of you (the few, the proud, the elite :-) running Debian, it is
not available in Debian proper.  You must add Debian Multimedia to your
sources file: `deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main'
--
john-thomas
------