[GRLUG] VirtualBox question

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Mar 6 12:07:55 EST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:51:40PM -0500, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:05:37AM -0500, Bill Littlejohn wrote:
[snip]
> > I haven't used the shared folders feature, but certainly you would have to
> > install the V.B. tools into the running livecd environment for it to work. I
> > used an external USB drive instead.
> > You can't access your system /dev/sda1 partition directly from the VM,
> > because your running your system off that disk - thus the need to make a
> > copy of the partition.
> > Assuming you have an external drive with enough free space attached as
> > /dev/sdb, you could do
> > "dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1/restore.img"
> > If you wanted to write the image to your home folder and then get folder
> > sharing working, then you could do
> > "dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/home/me/restore.img"
> > After you have the image file, and can access it from the VM, then just do
> > the reverse _in the VM_ to write it to the virtual disk partition. i.e. "dd
> > if=/dev/sdb1/restore.img of=/dev/sda1"
> > Be sure you understand where dd is reading and writing before executing the
> > commands - it can hose your system quickly if you reverse the commands. "man
> > dd"
> > Bill
>
> VirtualBox OSE does not appear to have USB support.  I am running the
> latest in Debian Squeeze (2.1.4_OSE).  I have the restore partition on a
> USB drive, ready to copy to the virtual drive, but I cannot access them.
> I am trying to figure out shared folders.  Once I have the files copied
> to the virtual drive, I am sure I won't have a problem.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> --
> john-thomas

I was able to get the shared folders working.  I had to actually install
an operating system into one partition since I needed to load an .iso
with the necessary files (a LiveCD is a mounted CD; you get one or the
other).  I was able to copy the files to the new recovery partition
(within the VM).  I added the partition to GRUB and was able to boot the
recovery installation.  I believe I am now at a complete standstill as
the installer is unable to find my disk so the install fails.  Bleh.

It was a good idea, I suppose.  Bill, thanks for all your work in trying
to figure this out.
--
john-thomas
------