[GRLUG] Status of things

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:13:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Tim Schmidt<timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Michael Mol<mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>> * WiFi mesh networking
>
> I have 4x Netgear WGT634Us I can contribute to a mesh networking
> project.  I can have them all loaded with stock OpenWRT in a jiffy.

As it turns out, 802.11s adds explicit mesh networking support to the
802.11 suite of standards.  Anyone know if the current draft provides
a specific mechanism for a user to select a gateway? (My thought is
that if people wanted, they could choose a mesh-Internet gateway much
the same way that they might choose a dial-up ISP.)

I don't particularly like depending on the traditional IP gateway
model, as a multi-homed WISP might have multiple entry points on the
network, some closer to a given user than others.

I've also been pointed towards professional-grade 802.11 hardware that
broadcasts at 1000mW (and only costs something like $50), but I need
to read up more on the FCC regulations for broadcasting at that power
in the 2.4 GHz "unlicensed" band.  I don't want to take advantage of
my ham license for the purpose, as that would add the legal
prohibition of encryption or obfuscation.