[GRLUG] Shared Memory

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:54:17 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Ben DeMott<ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah that's what C's shm.h and shmop is an interface to. - I just remembered
> Media Wiki (actually wikipedia uses a unique process) - I'll go and look at
> that real quick, and post my findings.

MediaWiki uses memcached, which is actually a memory caching daemon
that communicates via TCP/IP--but the daemon typically runs on
localhost.

Memcached isn't the same thing as shared memory.  You put something
into shared memory, it stays there.  You put something in memcached,
and it's only there until the daemon decides that something else it
was asked to cache is more important.