[GRLUG] DBMAIL

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 22:19:30 EDT 2009

I've implemented FAST full text search quite a few times.
Postgre's is great at it, and it's built in and simple to use.
Create Vector's data types as the searchable columns.\
Create GIN indexes on the Vector columns (this is the FAST part)
put triggers on the source columns to add vectors to the searchable columns
- or have a program occasionally update the vectors (not a big deal)

A few side notes:
Disable Auto Vacuum on this database during large vector modifications
Re-Index after Vector changes
Use the db schema to monitor the vectors - (this would take more time to
explain)

--- I have a script where you give it a list of columns and it automatically
makes FAST FULL TEXT INDEXED COLUMNS :)

In our company we are trying to create some 'synergy' (yes I just used that
word) between our data.
We want to store mail messages in postgres so the messages can be 'tagged'
and have relationships to other applications (like our customer management
software) - Makes sense right?

If you want to see fast full text indexing in practice check out:

craigscraper.openleaf.org   -  (CLICK ON SEARCH at the TOP) - things are
still in development so my apologies for any quirks.
 (valid search operators are + AND OR NOT, search operators cannot be
grouped - for the sake of speed)

If you want some code let me know I'd love to share it.