[GRLUG] python app speed

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 20:57:44 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Ben DeMott<ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah many many many games use Python has a configuration language.
> (Speaking from personal experience) - Games take too long to compile, so
> changing things that have to be tweaked like AI takes FOREVER.
> So instead you embed python into C/C++ and then modify the python.
>
> Most DICE-developed games use Python as a configuration language.
> (Battlefield2, Bad Company, Mirrors Edge, etc)

PyGame used to have some great games written around it.  My favorite
was Solarwolf.  Used to keep it on my laptop and play it all the time.
 Had a nasty issue with timing loops or something, though; Once I
started using it on multi-core machines, it'd stutter each time it got
scheduled to a different core, likely due cpu frequency scaling.