[GRLUG] Plan 9

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 11:05:32 EDT 2009

Plan9 is dead.  12 years ago or so
there were internal distributions of
the system and a couple of manuals
at BTL.  But all this was about the
time Linux started to get rolling.  Many
of the OS people at BTL have either
retired or gone to places like Google.
I doubt the current owners of BTL -
Alcatel, have much interest in supporting
things like Plan9 any more,  even if it did
have any particular merit.  The manuals
and the OS CD's might still be out there,
but Plan9 was exploratory.  The system
was fragmentary, and you were on your
own in terms of support.

There's a lot of history behind Unix and
AT&T, most of it bad.  Unix made its debut
on Jan 1,1970, and already had most of the
features its now noted for.  But the brass
at AT&T never knew what they wanted to
do with it, and as a result basically ran it
in to the ground, eventually selling it for a
song when it was clear that Linux was going
to take over.  The good news is the BSD branch.

Had AT&T handled Unix intelligently,  windoz
might never have happened.

   -- Bob