[GRLUG] Mass Market Software

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jul 15 11:57:02 EDT 2009

> > Perhaps it is time to establish an App store for stuff that runs on all
> > three platforms.  There is a market for ten dollar items.  I would bet
> > that even Linux users, who prefer the FOSS concept would not mind popping
> > for ten bucks for a purchased game.  I know this goes against the grain of
> > FOSS, so maybe it wouldn't fly.  But if we are going to assume that Linux
> > is desktop ready, then we need to be able to purchase for it the same way
> > we purchase for Windows or Mac.  Linux needs to develop a purchase
> > software friendliness.
> > (Running and ducking for cover.)

No cover needed, at least no from me.

> I've been advocating an AppStore/Apt Repo style content provision
> network for Windows, at least, for months.  I can't seem to convince
> anyone it's a good idea, or even that it's feasible.

I believe Novell is currently working on just such a thing.

If you've used openSUSE's one-click installers available for numerous
third party packages you've met how this could work well for LINUX.

Also managed code apps (.NET and the link) make this much simpler as
they support xcopy deployment vs. the script-foo and file sprawl hell
that most packages require from apt/yum/zypper [in pre/post run scripts,
etc...]  But that is really a side note.