[GRLUG] Status of things

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jul 13 11:36:04 EDT 2009

> > This looks like a good option. I just need Adam and Michael to weigh in on a
> > Creative Commons License to assign to the video. I would just make it as
> > free as possible, but I want to make sure you all have a say in how the
> > content is used. You can use this quick form (no need to fill in the text
> > fields) to help select the license best suited to your ideals.
> I'm comfortable with just CC-By; Most of the pics and video I put
> online get that license.  All CC material has the By component, which
> requires attribution.

Sounds good to me.

> CC-SA means that whoever uses it has to provide their modifications
> under the same license. (i.e. the Viral nature of GPL2)

Nah, I generally dislike viral licenses.  Good for core components like
Operating Systems, IMO, bad for most other things.  All hail MIT
<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php>.

> CC-ND means that however it gets used, it may not be modified.  This
> wouldn't prevent, e.g. satire or mockery, as those are protected forms
> of speech under Fair Use laws, anyway.  Instead, it tends to restrict
> things like mashups.

Find with me.

> CC-NC means that it's not allowed to be used for commercial purposes.
> I avoid this one; I'd rather not spend my time negotiating requests to
> use the content.

Same,  I specifically want to *allow* commercial use.  Non-commercial
clauses serve no purpose but to make things effectively useless.