[GRLUG] RepRap / Arduino

adderd at kkmfg.com adderd at kkmfg.com
Tue Jul 7 21:03:29 EDT 2009

I've seen some mention of RepRap before but I've never seen one or tried
to build one or anything. I do have experience with a variety of
industrial CNC equipment though. I've never built one mind you, but I have
repaired and maintained a few CNC machines. So I do have some experience
and interest in them.

I'm kind of curious about this RepRap thing. It's a rapid prototyping
machine huh... Sounds interesting. Seeing it on a website is one thing,
seeing it actually work would be something totally different. How well
does this sort of thing really work in real life?

I have several arduinos. I initially got them for an embedded project
which is on hold while I complete an electric car mod (and while I keep
making rock band guitar controller mods)

I like EagleCAD personally. They've got a free version and it's plenty for
smaller electronics projects. I think it's easier to use and easier to
find parts for Eagle than KiCAD but I've heard good things about KiCAD
too. I guess it's a personal preference sort of thing.

I might stop on to IRC sometime... Thanks for the heads up.