[GRLUG] Need to buy printer

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:27:08 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP unit - printer, scanner -
> which I got free with my last HP PC
> system.  Watch the Office Max or
> Office Depot ads for cheap printers.
> $50 or so.
>
> But the first round of new cartridges
> could well eat up a big piece of $100.
> IMHO home printers are a racket, and
> are clearly intended to get one hooked
> on cartridges, and are subsidized
> accordingly.

For anything more interesting than a hardcopies of lolcats, web pages
and my poetry, I print it off at either the Walgreens photo department
or a nearby FedEx Kinko's.  I suspect you could mount FEK's Windows
netprinter driver via CUPS.  FEK is much, much cheaper per page than
home color printers.

That won't work for all uses, though.  My grandmother occasionally
needs to print on fabric...Try getting FEK to do that.

We did just pick up an HP F4280 from Amazon for $40, because the old
printer was failing mechanically.  Works great so far, and came with
color and black-and-white cartridges.