[GRLUG] FOSS software for Storage Arrays

Casey DuBois casey at grlug.org
Wed Jan 21 13:55:00 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>> I have a few SGI TP9300s storage arrays 2GB Fibre to SATA with
>> proprietary software on them.
>> Someone mentioned that there is FOSS software that I could load on
>> them to make them useful.
>> Anyone on the list know about this?
>
> If they are just storage arrays I don't understand what you want to do.
> A Fiber Channel storage array should be compatible with LINUX hosts
> out-of-the-box provided they have FC adapters.  A quick search
> <http://developer.novell.com/yes/80573.htm> shows that the SGI TP9300 is
> even a certified compatible device.  You should be able to pickup a
> QLA2342 FC card of E-Bay for less than $100 (probably more like $50).

Thanks Adam,
I have the means to connect these arrays but it seems that they have
some sort of OS running on them I believe it's IRIX and am looking for
a FOSS alternative to IRIX.

I may have some facts wrong as I am learning as I go.

Link to TP9300s details and datasheet:
http://www.sgi.com/products/remarketed/storage/tp9300s.html

Casey DuBois
616-808-6942