[GRLUG] Installing Linux w/out CD Drive.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 20:47:29 EST 2009

Kisner, you have no reason to get defensive given the context of the
discussion, the fact that you asked for help, and that you didn't
provide sufficient context for your problem.  Your initial post
included with a logical fallacy "Needless to say, I'm less than
satisfied..." which is snarky and disrespectful to the folks who put
the work into making a useful computer cheap enough that you could
afford it.  If you're not going to pay for hardware to suit your
tastes, you have no right to complain.

In your first response to the thread, you shouted at the person who
replied to you.  Your second reply seemed to derisively laugh at the
people who'd offered you help.

Your reply to Adam included another insult to the folks who tried to
help you. ("Finally, a solution that doesn't involve a CD-ROM")  If
you'd actually READ Roberto's earlier reply, and googled for the terms
he suggested, you would have found out exactly what network booting
was.  Roberto's only mention of CDs was that he had managed to work
with a machine with a broken CD-ROM drive, which is suspiciously
similar to not having one at all.

Your reply to Rick was completely ignorant of the context of the
thread; He was pointing out that while your 256MB box with the CD-ROM
drive couldn't handle Ubuntu's GNOME-based installer, there is a
text-mode installer that doesn't use GNOME that can operate within
those requirements.  Not to mention that what he was talking about was
completely unrelated to the fact that your netbook is running Limpus
Linux Lite; There was no point to reminding him of that, and even less
in doing it snarkily.