[GRLUG] "Fixing" QuickBooks

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 19:53:49 EST 2009

This sounds like an interesting and useful project, which I'm afraid
will likely lead to a lot of frustration. The company I work for has
used Quickbooks since 2006, so I do have some experience with it.
Their file format changes with every version, and there is a new
version every year, so you are really aiming at a moving target. The
upgrade between versions can sometimes take hours, so I don't think
they are all trivial changes.

I don't actually use the program very much (IANAA), but I do pull some
data out of it using their QODBC driver. It is highly annoying that
the full desktop client has to be running to access the data via ODBC.

I know that some part of the Enterprise version uses an encrypted,
embedded Sybase database, but I'm not sure that all versions use that.

Quickbooks can import data from Excel spreadsheets for some functions
(esp customer, vendor, employee data).

I'll be happy to lend a hand if I can be of any help.