[GRLUG] auto mount

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Mon Feb 23 16:13:27 EST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009, Topher wrote:
> There's a feature that Gnome has that I want outside of gnome.
> When you plug in a USB drive or something, some part of gnome
> notices, and mounts it.
>
> I want that, but I don't use gnome.  I'm quite comfortable finding
> the id's of my devices and mounting by hand, and most of my common
> ones I put in fstab, so it's not all that bad to just do mount -a
> and it takes care of it.
>
> But it seems like if Gnome can do it, there should be something
> that can do it at the system level as well.
>
> Anyone know how that might work, and whether it's already out
> there?
>
> Topher

KDE does this same thing too.  Doing a quick google search on how KDE
does it says this:

"KDE can also auto mount devices, working with HAL (Hardware
Abstraction Layer). Your distribution should have set up HAL
automatically; if not, consult the documentation provided by your
distribution."

(http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-runtime/userguide/multimedia.html)

I guess that's where you would start...

Hope that helps,