[GRLUG] GRLUG Potluck and Udev

Colin Uhen callinyouin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 13:17:31 EST 2009

Actually, I do this on my laptop which, for some reason, configures my wifi
to be off on startup. I also find my laptop's backlight-dimming feature
annoying, so I disable that on startup as well. Under Arch, all one needs to
do is add some code to /etc/rc.local. A simple echo to the file will
suffice. Here is how mine works:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/asus_laptop/ls_switch
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/asus_laptop/wlan

Yes, this is platform specific, but I suspect that most modern systems have
something under the "platform" directory for whatever hardware they have.

-Colin