[GRLUG] GRLUG Potluck and Udev

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 11:57:52 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The general topic at that moment was the webcam built into laptops,
>> and how could one effectively disable the webcam without physically
>> removing or modifying the device.
>
> There is a package for my EeePC that gives me a menu where I can
> enable and disable the webcam, wifi, bluetooth, and SD card slot. You
> can see a screenshot of it, and see the source code at [3]. I could
> not get the git to clone, but there is a tarball available.
>
> [3]  http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/

After looking through the code (thank goodness it's Python or I would
be lost!), I am able to disable my EeePC 901's webcam by writing 0 to
/sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera and I can enable it by writing 1 to
that same file. The SD card reader is similarly enabled and disabled.
The wifi and bluetooth have other mechanisms which I have not looked
at.

So it looks to me like these actions things are device-specific.

--
  Ben Rousch
  brousch at gmail.com
  http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/