[GRLUG] Taking A Deep Breath

Edward Crawford ecrawford at ejccompany.com
Sat Aug 29 11:55:38 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of your feedback regarding my query on upgrading Firefox. In
reviewing the responses, it seems that it might help if I define my goals in
further exploring the Linux platform. I have been developing apps in the
Windows world for 10 years... mostly Visual Basic & SQL server (I hear the
moans going up from the crowd :-). I'm currently studying Java & I want to
set up several PCs, network them, use one as a Tomcat server & work toward
using open source tools for developing scalable applications (web based). I
took a couple of C++ courses & have been working on getting my head around
object oriented languages.

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty frustrated with my inability to update a
program. I'm willing to study what I need to in order to have a solid
understanding of the Linux platform, but I'm not sure where to start. Any
links, books, sources & suggestions will be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks again,

ejc