[GRLUG] Newbie Distros [Was: Re: Upgrading Firefox]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Aug 28 13:01:37 EDT 2009

> Another thing that someone pointed out is that Ubuntu has better
> out-of-the-box support for non-free hardware drivers.

"better" how?  Compared to whom?  Are there specific devices Ubuntu
supports out-of-the-box that openSUSE or Fedora don't?

My personal experience is that openSUSE is considerably better than
Ubuntu for device detection and setup - but this is highly ancedotal
based on the hardware in question.  Across a broad swath of devices my
money would be that the average would come out very even, they are all
using roughly equivalent kernel versions and pulling from the same
stream of drivers from the "crap tree" [the kernel developers call it
that].