[GRLUG] K3b question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 16:04:45 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM, john-thomas richards<jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:17:00PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:

>> > Many video DVDs can simply be mounted and the BLOBs copied.  It appears as
>> > a filesystem.
>>

>> Indeed, the files do show up, but
>> no inndication as to how to start
>> ripping.  i.e., the "Start ripping"
>> button that appears with CD's when
>> I choose "Rip a CD" does not appear,
>> so it's not clear what the next move is
>> after the directors and files appear.
>>
>> If there is a next move...
>>
>> My goal is to put a few movies on my
>> hard drive.  In the event K3b doesn't
>> do this, despite the menu item,  can
>> someone suggest another package?
>
> Bob,
>
> I *strongly* recommend HandBrake.  It is simple to use yet it offers
> some fine-grained control (not what you'd get from a commandline, but
> some).  It even has pre-configured options for iPods, etc.
>
> Very strangely, it is not available in Debian proper.

Actually, I'll second that recommendation.  Handbrake was recommended
to me when I first started looking into DVD ripping.  I'd found the
ripping process complicated and error-prone, and Handbrake's feature
set looked really nice--but it wasn't available for my OS (64-bit
Ubuntu 8.10 at the time).

Nice to know that it's more generally available; There's even a Gentoo
ebuild I'll have to look into.