[GRLUG] comcast tiers (tears actually)

Erik Southworth erik.southworth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:35:20 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Erik Southworth <
> erik.southworth at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  You can sniff the configs and see what service levels people are using.
>>  The really fast stuff requires DOCSIS 3 network/hardware which uses a
>> new channel-bonding technique, but it's just rolling out in major cities.
>> If
>> you subscribe to a fast tier make sure your modem is capable, cause they
>> will take your money and never evaluate your equipment needs. An SB4100 is
>> good
>> for up to 10Mb DL. An SB5100 should be good up to 30-40Mb I think, but I
>> have
>> only tested it to 16Mb DL.
>>

> Comcast is said to have 160 Mbps technology
> on the shelf using the channel bonding you
> mention.
>
> Alas, FiOS has 25, 50, and 100 Mbps ties
> available now in some areas, and the lowest
> tier is about $35 to $50 a month I gather.
>
> As someone else here pointed out, I don't
> think we can look for Comcast to be a leader.
> i.e., it won't introduce anything until forced to.
>
>     -- Bob

It's true the CABLE providers won't pioneer. Their focus is responding to
market challenges from FIOS, UVERSE and WiMax in the markets where it
threatens to lose customers. Every time the competition ratchets up, they do
a DOCSIS 3 roll-out in that market and make competitive pricing plans and
service levels, just to stay a step ahead. There is a small fiber roll-out
in North Holland, but they are still using the old marketing scheme of
bundling TV and limiting the Net bands.