[GRLUG] Net-top as server?

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:43:26 EDT 2009

Michael Mol wrote:
> Steve Romanow wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Flanders wrote:
>>
>>> My server at home exploded this morning.  Pretty sure it was the power
>>> supply, but I just unplugged it and went to work so I'll know more
>>> when I get a chance to look at it.  Exploded is a bit of an
>>> exaggeration. It went pop, loud enough for me to hear it from one
>>> floor away, and died.
>>>
>>> Anyway the question is would a net-top be powerful enough to setup as
>>> a file and media server.  I had plans on setting up Apache as well,
>>> but I hadn't around to it yet.  I used sockso, but I might setup a
>>> more powerful media server in the future when/if I setup an
>>> entertainment PC next to the tv.
>>>
>>> Those small, power sippin' little boxes really look appealing as
>>> compared to what I did have, which was a full mini-tower scrapped
>>> together with the remains of past desktops.  I would put ubuntu server
>>> on it, I wouldn't need X.  How powerful are those little atom chips?
>>>

>> I personally think it is worth it.  There is one web mention on a blog I
>> frequent that someone mentioned doing the same.  Let me see, umm.  The
>> byobu dev mentioned setting up a dell mini9 at his parents as a little
>> server.
>>
>> I think the machine would be fine for serving up existing files, but I
>> would draw the line at any transcoding.
>>
>> The Radio Shack on 28th has a couple of models for ~350 and abc
>> warehouse had the HP model in their sale paper last month for 200 I
>> think.  Worth a shot.
>>

> There's a small computer shop on the corner of Ivanrest and 28th st
> that's selling tiny refurbished DeskPros with 2.4GHz P4 processors for
> $125 apiece.  Might be worth looking into.  I couldn't tell you what
> their power consumption is, off-hand.  They might be willing to cut a
> deal if you ordered several of them without an operating system; They
> might be able to take those keys and use them on something else.

Be very wary.  I recently bought an old p4 2.8ghz dell machine thinking
"man, its almost 3G processor" but it is soooo slow.  Our standards have
ratcheted so high.  With 2G of ram it is still painful to use.

My atom netbook feels much faster than this dell d2350 with its 400Mhz
bus.  I wish I had bought a second netbook instead of this desktop.
Does anyone sell desktop atom cubes?  shuttle?  got to be a market.