[GRLUG] gmailfs question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 22:39:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Bob Kline<bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mounted my gmail.com contents using, as root:
>
> mount -t gmailfs none /mount-point  -o
> usrname=me,password=my_password,fsname=secret_word
>
> It mounted fine, apparently.  i.e., no errors.
> And the size matches what I see on gmail.com
> when I log in.
>
> But when I attempt to list the contents, using
>
> ls  /mount-point
>
> I get
>
> ls: cannot open directory.  .: No space left on device
>
> Huh?  My hard drive has plenty of space
> left.  And so does my gmail account.
>
> Can anyone tell me what this might mean?

How many emails are in your account?  It's possible it bumped up
against some resource limit internal to the userspace component of the
FUSE filesystem.  I'd have to look at the source code.

> For that matter, has anyone else tried mounting
> a gmail file system?  What should the contents
> look like?

No idea...

> Why am I doing this?  To look for large messages
> to delete.  Unlike Yahoo email,  gmail does no tell
> you message sizes.

I keep a home backup of my GMail account via POP.  If you were to do
something like that, you could see the email sizes that way as well.
(I'm not saying using FUSE is a bad idea, mind you, just offering an
alternate approach.)