[GRLUG] dns hijacking

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:59:10 EDT 2009

Well that confused me as well, and like I said this was a while ago,
but some of the tiles of the map seemed to resolve to something like
maps.google.<something>.opendns.com(this would be on the tile instead
of the image that was supposed to be there).  Like opendns couldn't
find whatever server was serving up that tile.  I would hit refresh
and sometimes this would help and sometimes I would get the opendns
hijack page saying something to the effect that it couldn't find
google.com and to "click here" to do something (reload dns cache?)
then it would find google.com.  Like I said that would happen a few
times a week.

Pointing the dns back to comcast fixed all the issues.

Maybe OpenDNS had nothing to do with it, but getting off of it worked.

Share and Enjoy
Ben