[GRLUG] ASUS, Windows and Linux WAS: shopping for linux-compatible hardware

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 16:10:14 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM, <eric at erichartwell.net> wrote:
> its not about asus boards, but their blatant "windows is best" claims right on their home page. This is from a company who makes a linux netbook then says eepc is better with winders.
>
> our advocate tends to show more when companies say those things.

A) The average user doesn't know the difference between familiarity
and superiority, either on a philosophical or technical level.

B) Just like Wal-Mart before them, ASUS discovered that slashing
system costs by using a free operating system doesn't fly well when
people expect that operating system's interface and software set to be
identical to the XP-running eMachine sitting on their desk, and if
they can't settle in within a day, it's a waste of time.

C) When you're marketing to someone, short and punchy is key; You're
not going to get most people to sit down and read a whitepaper and
make an informed decision.  A one-sentence tagline with a lot of punch
can actually be read, and might even stick.

Instead of "We put an operating system on it that has software and
interfaces you're more familiar with and will be easier for your
instant-gratification-demanding mind to get accustomed to," they say
"It's better with Windows."

Honestly, I'd sooner blame the people who refuse to learn new things
or Read The Manual than I'd blame a company that has a bottom line to
consider.  ASUS has an incredible track record of open firmware and
following the GPL.  You can't say that for any of the other embedded
device manufacturers.  Someone in technical authority at ASUS must
have been pushing for Linux for quite some time.  I hope the eeePC
consumer backlash didn't get them bumped.