[GRLUG] Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 16:32:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 14:22 -0400, Casey DuBois wrote:
> I had to share this link with the group.
> Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed? Linux backers claim Solaris is
> irrelevant; Sun of course disagrees
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/24/39NF-linux-killing-solaris_1.html?source=NLC-DAILY&cgd=2008-09-24

That seems pretty much spot-on to me.  The only advantage Sun trots out
are the mentioned Dtrace and ZFS.  When was the last time people got
really excited about a filesystem?  ZFS is cool, but it really only
matters for the 0.1% of the market that has **HUGE** filesystems.  For
everyone else any modern filesystem is sufficient.

This is pretty much a literal exchange:
ZFS guy to me: you never have to think about inodes ever again.
Me to ZFS guy: Uh, inodes?  I haven't thought about them in years.

I think the real argument against Solaris is: "Why bother?  I can just
use LINUX.  No licensing hassle, better hardware support, larger support
community."

I've considered Sun dead for along time, along with HP-UX and AIX.  But
"death" in IT is a very long and protracted event.

As for Dtrace, it or an equivalent, will be here shortly.
<http://oracledoug.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/1309-DTrace-and-Linux.html> among other links.