[GRLUG] Speccing a Linux system

rh90p at comcast.net rh90p at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 08:36:54 EDT 2008

Based on my recent experience, I would be very careful and make my choices based on the hardware compatibility lists.  I have had a number of boards recently that will not run Linux properly.  The problems I have had center around RAID SATA controllers and from what I read that issue is key with a lot of other users as well.  I recently traded in an ASUS A8V-Deluxe (and a CUV4X-LS) for an ASUS M2A which does work although I am not able to get it to update or install packages that weren't in the original install.  I wanted a P5K but couldn't find one locally so I settled for what I could get.  Now I'm kicking myself.  I lost 4 PCI slots and Firefire but gained a PCI-Express slot.

From: "Michael Mol" <mikemol at gmail.com>