[GRLUG] Speccing a Linux system

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 11:58:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rosewill 500W PSU - I have no intention of using fancy video cards, so
> even 500W is overkill for this computer; They recommend 550W if you're
> running an SLI configuration, which means I could probably throw in a
> single high-end video card if I ever got tired of the onboard video.
> (Such as if I want to go dual-screen.)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182009

Getting an 80+ certified power supply will cost a little more - maybe
$10 or $20 - but will pay for the difference in power savings in less
than 3 months.  After that, it's saving you $50 / year in electricity
costs compared to a typical power supply of the same wattage rating.
I wouldn't buy a new computer without one.

--tim