[GRLUG] 64 bit Linux and CPUs

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 01:02:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com> wrote:
> swap partitions can be shared, as long as the OS's are compatible, or
> you reinit the swap partition during boot (swap init is fast).

All modern Linux distros should be using version 1 swap, but page
sizes may differ.  I'd say go with reinit, so long as you're not
hibernating.

> Unless you have reason to keep them separate, /home can probably be
> shared as long as you keep your binaries separate.  You'd have to watch
> out for native plugins that way.

Two things to be careful about here:
* Differing UID numbers
* Different versions of software modifying the same per-user config files.

I've run into both problems.  The safest solution is to leave /home
per-distro, but have a mount in your user directory that grants access
to your common files.