[GRLUG] kill switches

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 12:44:27 EDT 2008

Look guys...  I'm sorry to burst your bubbles...  but cell phones
aren't cell phones any more.

They're no longer collections of discrete logic that translate voice
into radio signals and back again.

They're now general-purpose computers with access to more cpu time,
storage space, and ram than a computer of 5 - 10 years ago.  They have
vastly more built-in 'peripherals' than just about any computer I've
ever owned (GPS, bluetooth, wifi, camera, DSPs, touchscreens,
accelerometers, etc etc etc.)  They have access to multiple networks,
wired and wireless.  They run the same operating systems as desktops
and supercomputers.

They're computers.

And magically, all the same rules apply.  :)

So we can argue all you want about whether or not a computer should
have a big red remote kill switch so someone with "good intentions"
can tell you what you're allowed to do, and what you're not...  but I
think that's pretty obviously a loosing argument for the side in favor
of big brother.

Especially in this forum.

--tim