[GRLUG] Flash for /

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Oct 17 07:32:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:59 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> I've been looking at a solid-state disk of some sort as / for my next
> computer, so I thought I'd share my observations and get some
> comments.
> Solid-state disks have a minuscule seek time compared to magnetic
> disks.  For most systems, this should speed up bootup and initial
> flushed.  This is my primary motivation for using a SSD as /.

I've seen some contradictory benchmarks;  like most things I doubt SSDs
will be the pure-net-win that manufacturers promise.  But Torvald's
review is a good read
<http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2008/10/so-i-got-one-of-new-intel-ssds.html>
--
          Consonance: an Open Source .NET OpenGroupware client.
 Contact:awilliam at whitemiceconsulting.com   http://freshmeat.net/projects/consonance/