[GRLUG] VMWare ESXi Was: Raid, LVM, and Cheap Storage

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 13:05:17 EDT 2008

> I run ESX on several "unsupported" machines,  and it works OK.
> Certifying machines is tedious and expensive so it is natural for the
> list to be short.   The only thing I've seen that they specifically
> dis-support is IDE which also makes sense;  ESX is an enterprise product
> and most PATA/SATA devices cannot be guaranteed safe
> <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SCSI_vs._IDE/SATA_Disks>.
> Certification is such a guarantee, if your willing to live without
> it....   Even my production *systems* are "unsupported",  the OEM
> extended their own guarantee that the individual components were all
> supported.

And if you want more hardware support (at the cost of lower
performance), you can always use the standard VMware Server product
that runs on top of most Linux distro's.

I believe they just released version 2.0 of the standard VMware
Server.  I run XP in VMware Server version 1 at home on top of Ubuntu
8.04, and it works fine.  Never tried v2, except for one of the early
beta releases, which I never got to run at all.

 - BS